Mr. Birch represents business clients in all aspects of labor and employment law and business litigation. During 40 years of practice, he has assisted businesses in a variety of industries, including outsourcing, information technology, insurance, healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, retail and wholesale, transportation, media, professional services, banking, and construction.
Mr. Birch provides counseling to clients on compliance with labor, employment, and employee benefit laws. Mr. Birch represents employers in court, administrative and arbitration proceedings in individual, class, and collective actions.
Recent matters include:
- the defense of employers in wage and hour cases alleging misclassification of employees and independent contractors,
- the investigation and defense of harassment and intentional tort claims,
- the defense of discrimination and failure to accommodate claims;
- the defense of Family Medical Leave Act and Americans with Disabilities Act claims,
- representation of employers in whistleblower, corporate compliance and internal investigation matters;
- the defense and prosecution of trade secret and confidential information litigation, including covenants not to compete,
- the representation of companies and individual professionals and executives in employment and separation agreements, and
- representation of companies in the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Birch’s business litigation practice includes shareholder/partner disputes, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, contract, professional liability, and business torts. He also regularly represents companies relating to corporate compliance programs and regulatory matters.